MEET M. I. T. IN TRACK TODAY

COMBINED UNIVERSITY AND 1921 SQUADS TO OPPOSE TECH. RUNNERS.

Stiff opposition to the Crimson runners is expected today when the track season opens with a combined University and Freshman track meet against M. I. T. in the Stadium at 3.30 o'clock. It will be the first contest of the year for the University team, and there is considerable doubt as to just how the squad will show up. The 1921 men, however, with a decisive victory over Andover last Saturday to their credit, will unquestionably make a good showing.

Neither M. I. T. nor the University management has made any definite entries for the various events as yet. As the meet is to take more or less the form of a practice contest, a large number of entrants will probably be allowed in each event.

University Team Handicapped.

The University team will be greatly handicapped in the distance runs, as it has suffered the loss of its best pacemaker in B. Lewis '20, formerly captain. The fastest 1921 miler has also left College, D. F. O'Connell, who has entered the Red Cross Ambulance Service. Captain Costigan '20, D. J. Duggan '20, and J. E. Nally '21 and P. T. Cumner '21 will be the Crimson's strongest cards in the long races, while the sprints will be left chiefly in the hands of the Freshmen, Captain Krogness and E. O. Goodwin being the most reliable men.

The Technology men will furnish an unusually strong distance team, headed by Dresser, their fastest two-miler. Also Mayer, in the quarter, and Shackleton, in the sprints, are both excellent runners. M. I. T., however, is suffering from the same scarcity of field event ment which has troubled the University for the last few years.