THE GERMANS DRIVE AGAIN

The German offensive once more sweeps forward and the scene of battle is again shifted to the Marne. On the very ground where the first great drive on Paris was turned, the Allies slowly give their ground. After four years of bitter struggle Germany is still able to concentrate forces and push her enemies back. The drive of the spring of 1918 must be regarded as one of the great wonders of the war.

With the majority of the civilized world against her, it seems incredible that Germany can take the offensive. That she can is only possible because of the release of large numbers of troops from the Eastern front for service in the West and because of the fact that on a large front either side can secretly concentrate troops for a temporary advance. Yet even these factors can scarcely explain why Germany has troop superiority over England, France and America combined.

The great German offensive must be a source of serious thought. Germany has won a victory of importance and has indefinitely postponed the termination of the war. We realize she is suffering heavily the attrition which accompanies every advance. We have faith in the strength of Foch's British and French line. We expect to hear of Allied reserves and exhaustion of the German army. Yet we cannot discount the gravity of the situation. It calls for everything we have to give; it bids America hasten that the line may not break. It demands a reconseeration of every man to the duties of the hour.