ATHLETIC COURTESY

The athletic season is over. The crew has come back from a victorious race against Yale; the University baseball and tennis teams have been humbled by the Elis, and thus the curtain falls on the first year of war-time sport. Looking back over the seasons, the University can hardly rejoice over its record. We have been unfortunate in every sport but rowing and we have plenty of cause for disappointment. But somehow the idea of sport solely for the sake of winning has disappeared; the mania for victory left us at the outbreak of the war.

With this new spirit in games has come a new type of intercollegiate friendship. Princeton has been the leader in this movement and it is from her that we have learned that it is possible to treat your opponents like friends, not like allen enemies. In the olden days football teams used to be quartered in some out-of-the-way town and then let loose on their opponents like gladiators in the Roman stadiums. This year Princeton gave up its clubs to our teams and showed us every possible courtesy, and the University players came back impressed and somewhat ashamed of the less cordial manner with which we have been wont to treat our visitors. Little courtesies help to establish a better relationship between colleges and other universities, including Harvard, would do well to follow in the Tigers tracks. With all its evils it has taken the war to teach what sport for sport's sake means.