THE ROLL OF HONOR.

With the growth of American participation in the greatest of all conflicts, has come ever increasing casualty lists. Every section of the country, every state is included. Each time the supreme sacrifice seems to have been made by someone nearer home. Friends have fallen at Chateau Thierry, at Soissons, along the Vesle, and even in the camps of this country. The University has lost many sons; not only graduates, but classmates, students whom we have lived and worked with, comrades whom we have contested and competed with, men whom we now mourn with mingled feelings of sorrow and admiration. They gave all they ever had or hoped to have, to fulfill the call of duty, and in so doing have made their lives the lives of heroes. In their few years they have proved themselves great, following the path of glory till in reached the grave.

Both with admiration and with grief do we hear of their death. While the loss is severe, often more so because of nobleness brought out in death, yet pride and resolution take the place of useless lamentation. Their fate was one of inspiration, rather than cause for sorrow. We take pride that so many of the University's sons have unstintingly proven their loyalty. What they have given we can and must be willing to give.