PROF. W. C. SABINE, A.M. '88, FAMOUS SCIENTIST, PROMINENT IN WAR WORK, DIED IN BROOKLINE

FUNERAL MONDAY AT 1

Professor Wallace Clement Sabine A.M. '88, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy and Director of the Jefferson Physical Laboratory, died yesterday morning at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Brookline, following an operation which he underwent on Monday, and from which he failed to rally. Professor Sabine was born in Richwood, Ohio, June 13, 1868. He obtained the degree of A.B. at Ohio State University in 1886, and the degree of A.M. at Harvard in 1888. In 1889 he became an assistant in physics in the University, in 1890 an instructor, in 1895 an assistant professor, and in 1905 he was made a full professor, and in addition Dean of the Scientific School. Such was the unusually rapid rise in the field of science of Wallace Clement Sabine.

Awarded Scientific Honors.

In 1907 Brown University conferred upon him the degree of D.Sc., and in 1914 the degree of S.D. was conferred upon him by the University. Professor Sabine was a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, A.A.A.S., and a member of the American Physical Society. He was the author of a number of scientific volumes and texts including, "Laboratory Course in Physical Measurements," and "Architectural Acoustics."

War Work of Incalculable Value.

In the academic year 1916-17 Professor Sabine went to the University of Paris as Exchange Professor. It was there in France that he performed services for the Allies in connection with the War which were of incalculable value. An expert on sound, he was asked by the French Government to experiment with sounding devices. In this connection, he made experimental flights in aeroplanes and went below the sea on a French submarine. He also invented a most successful sounding device for locating artillery, which has been used to a large extent by the Allied Armies with excellent results.

Upon his return to America, Professor Sabine was frequently called to Washington, where he aided other Government experts in a number of War inventions and had a part in the development of the Liberty Motor.

He has made extensive experiments upon the relative power of matter to absorb sound, and was a specialist in the acoustics of buildings and rooms.

Service in Appleton.

Professor Sabine is survived by a wife and two daughters. The funeral services will take place in Appleton Chapel at 1 o'clock Monday afternoon.