DEMOCRACY OF EDUCATION.

The governor of New Hampshire, in his inaugural address, said that opportunities for elementary education should be the same everywhere in the State. It seems striking that although countless programs have been proposed for the reconstruction of education after the War, there is present no topic bearing directly upon the problem of elementary education, and yet what could be more important? It may be platitudinous to say that the whole is made up of the parts, yet we seem to believe that to make the world safe for democracy, it is first necessary to think of plans for training a democracy that is safe for the world. It is folly to believe we can create a democratic state through and by the ideals of its leader only. Such a state must be evanescent in character. Democracy of learning, which should mean scientific knowledge, technical skill, and spiritual culture must, in their elements, become the possession of every member of a democracy, else that democracy is not a reliable one and a permanent one. The governor of New Hampshire is striking at rock bottom. What we need in this world is less remedies and more precautions. Educate the peasant and the slave and less dupery shall exist. Certainly it is too late to elevate the laborer; educate rather the child. Open wide the door of opportunity; the ability and capability, of man await only its opening. We talk of democracy, much as if we had it. To realize it is our huge task and the elemental step in its solution must be the popularizing and democratizing of the educational opportunities of this country and of every country.