FRANKLIN AND CHAUMONT

Today is the birthday of the man who won France to the aid of the American Colonies in their struggle for independence--Benjamin Franklin. The debt we owe France can never be paid. It is not alone a National debt. It is also a personal debt of Americans to Frenchmen. This is best shown by a letter of Franklin addressed to President Washington, June 3, 1789:

"M. LeRoy de Chaumont, father of the young gentleman who will have the honor of waiting on you with this, was the first in France who gave us credit, and before the court showed us any countenance, trusted us with 2,000 barrels of gun powder, . . . . which for want of due returns, they being of great amount, has finally much distressed him in his circumstances."

Now it is America who goes to France, and the town which became the headquarters of General Pershing is Chaumont. Our government is abundantly able to repay those barrels of gunpowder if the people stand behind it with their money. The Franklin Thrift Stamp Drive is asking you to do this. The appeal of Franklin: "for want of due returns, they being of great amount, has finally much distressed him," reminds us of our debt more powerfully now that France has sacrificed her all, than it did when Chaumont advanced us 2,000 barrels of gunpowder.

Franklin and Chaumont! We are honor bound to back up this Thrift Stamp Drive.