DISCONTINUE MILITARY TRAINING UNTIL FALL

SUMMER CAMPS POSSIBLE

It has been practically decided by the University that for the balance of the current college year there will be no active military or naval training for Harvard undergraduates, according to a statement made yesterday by President Lowell. In view of the facts that the great majority of men returning to Cambridge from the service would not receive additional benefit from such training, that the systems of training recently enforced do not appear the best which can be devised, and that the development of a practical and permanent system of military instruction for coming classes is of primary import, the university authorities believe that it will be more feasible to begin its new military program in the fall of 1919.

To Base Fall Program on R. O. T. C.

The new program referred to will be based on the same General Order 49, which authorized the establishment of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, but the War Department will make changes in the details of its operation. Not only will instruction in infantry be offered, but also colleges will be encouraged to develop artillery, engineer, signal corps and other units. An effort is being made, supported by President Lowell, to concentrate the drill and field work in summer camps of approximately six weeks' duration, and to devote that part of the work which would come during term time to lectures and class room work. The establishment of a field artillery unit here is favored because this branch lends itself most readily to such a system, although President Lowell believes it advisable to continue a certain amount of infantry work at the same time. It is of course at present impossible to state definitely the course which will be followed. During the next few months the question is to be carefully considered, and advance preparations will be made so that when the new system of training does go into effect it will be well founded and permanent, at the same time not conflicting with academic interests.