GREENOUGH ACTING HEAD OF ATHLETIC COMMITTEE

FIRST MEETING TONIGHT

Professor C. N. Greenough '98 will act as Chairman of the new Athletic Committee as well as Dean of the College during the absence of Dean Yeomans. The Committee meets for the first time in Dean Yeoman's office this evening at 8 o'clock, with Professor Greenough presiding. The policy of the University in regard to the matter of conducting athletic teams as in the past will be the most important question to be decided, while the arranging of schedules in all major sports for this spring and next fall also awaits the action of the Committee.

As he has had no actual experience in the administration of College athletics, Professor Greenough has refrained from expressing any opinions on details of the subject which he has not yet had opportunity to cover thoroughly.

"Hostility should be replaced by friendly rivalry between colleges and un- iversities," said Professor Greenough in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter. "In the past too much emphasis has been placed on University teams, with too much newspaper talk and heroworship. Athletics should be made general so that the man who cannot make even a class team will be encouraged to take exercise. With these men as a foundation it would be advisable to have a pyramid of teams culminating in those which should represent the University in intercollegiate contests. If College athletics are not made accessible to every student I agree with Dean Briggs that one of the great lessons of the war will have been disregarded.