HONORIS CAUSA.

At the recommendation of the Overseers, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences has voted that the A.B. and S.B. degrees will be extended to "students who shall have completed at least three-fourths of the requirements for those degrees, and who owing to military service have been unable to complete the entire course." It is further expected that the Corporation will add its deciding vote, thus settling the question and discrediting the indignant alarm of the Boston Globe over the situation.

We never doubted that some such decision would be reached, though we are at a loss to understand the interpretation of this particular statement. Whether it applies to all men who through their military service have missed academic work or whether it merely applies to those who left within a year of their degrees, we trust that no undue advantage of this privilege will be taken. The University was forced to recognize that many men who had satisfactorily completed the greater part of their college work would never be able to return for the rest. To withhold credit from these was manifestly unfair. At the same time in awarding these degrees "honoris causa" it was also forced to recognize that many men who could and would otherwise finish their college courses would now be entitled to their A.B.'s. Herein lies the abuse of the system.

The University has been generous in the whole matter. It is our part to be generous in return. Out of justice to themselves and to the degree they will be awarded we feel that men who are in a position to complete their training here should make every effort to do so.