Surgical Unit Home; Has Cared For 150,000 British Wounded

The Harvard Surgical Unit arrived early yesterday morning in Halifax, N. S., on the steamer "Megantic" from Liver pool. The Megantic will proceed to Portland, Maine, where the members of the unit will disembark.

This Surgical Unit was formed nearly four years ago, and a part of it, comprising thirty-one surgeons and seventy-five nurses, went overseas in June, 1915, to serve with the British Expeditionary Forces. Since that time there have been several changes and additions to the unit, and it contains at present more than 400 members. All of the doctors attached to the unit hold honorary commissions in the Medical Corps of the British Army.

During the existence of the unit it has been commanded in turn by Dr. E. H. Nichols, Dr. David Cheever '97, Dr. Harvey Cushing M.D. '95, Dr. D. F. Jones '92, and for the greatest part of the time, by Dr. Hugh Cabot '94, who now holds the rank of lieutenant-colonel.

Colonel Cabot has been decorated by the British Government with the order of Commander of Michael and George.

For more than a year the unit has occupied British Base Hospital No. 22, stationed at Boulogne, where it has taken care of more than 150,000 British wounded. The hospital was bombed twice by the Germans. The second attack resulted in the death of a medical officer and four privates, and the wounding of about forty others.

The hospital was principally under canvas, and contained 2,400 beds.