FIRST HOCKEY MEETING OF YEAR HELD IN H.A.A.

FEW MANAGER CANDIDATES

About a dozen University hockey candidates, and more than 50 Freshmen were present at the hockey meeting in the H. A. A. last night. R. E. Gross '19 was the principal speaker. He emphasized the fact that intercollegiate indoor hockey has, for the time being, practically come to and end, as the indoor rinks of Yale and Princeton are now devoted to other purposes, and the Boston Arena will not be rebuilt as an ice-rink.

"Harvard must be the first University back on its feet in every way" he said, "and we must show that we can go through the war without being completely swept off our feet. The two rinks in the Stadium have been put into shape, and daily practice will start as soon as possible."

E. L. Bigelow '21, captain of last year's Freshman team, gave a few words of good advice to the Freshmen, and spoke about the great desirability of maintaining University and Freshman teams.

E. W. Pavenstedt '20, manager of the 1920 Freshman team and of the Informals last year; will have charge of the University team this season, and will also conduct the 1922 managerial competition. He spoke of the necessity of getting started right away, in order to make up for the three weeks of lost time. All players were advised to get their skates in condition immediately, and the candidates for the Freshman seven were instructed to take their strength tests at Randolph Gymnasium as soon as possible.

Only 7 candidates for the 1922 managerial competition reported at yesterday's meeting. This number was comparatively small, and all other Freshmen who wish to compete should report at today's meeting in the H. A. A. at 1 o'clock.