THE BOY SCOUT DRIVE.

Coming after a period when welfare organizations have conducted their campaigns for millions the modest drive of the Boy Scouts of this vicinity for $60,000 is a novel contrast, No organization has been more patriotic or done more, in proportion to its opportunities, to aid in war work. And its request for funds to continue its work deserves to meet with the most substantial support from the public at large.

No happier or more successful project for the worthy development of the American boy has ever been brought forward. The Scout is admired by old and young alike for the principles upon which his organization is founded are admirably chosen to produce a youth of the highest type, and in the future a citizen of invaluable worth. The Scouts have conclusively shown their intrinsic value by the ability and willingness with which they have served the country in its time of need. The energy which they displayed in canvassing for Liberty Loans brought well earned credit to themselves and benefit to the nation. And the numberless war gardens throughout the United States, which have been developed by Scout gardeners, have added an important increment to the diminished food supply.

Tomorrow will close the three-day campaign of the Scouts. We can show our appreciation of their services during the last two years by making the drive a real success. A contribution to their fund is not only a reward for the past, but it is a loan to American youth, which will be repaid many times in the higher standard of citizen in the future.