THE GREATEST HARVARD MAN

The nation grieves at the death of Theodore Roosevelt and the world sympathizes; but the loss comes home with particular force to the Harvard men, because he was a great son of Alma Mater and a brother to two generations of students and graduates. No man in the United States has so fully shown forth in his character, life, and achievements that individual and fearless spirit which Harvard University aims to foster. He was a graduate of many colleges--a law student at Columbia, honored with degrees by a host of universities in many lands, and well educated in the graduate school of practical life, and the research course of public affairs.

Nevertheless, throughout his life he held fast to his allegiance to Harvard. Here he spent four of the foundation years of his great career. Here after retiring from the presidency of the United States he was president of the Harvard Alumni Association. Here his name reappeared upon the catalogue as a member of the Board of Overseers.

From the time he entered public life there was a sector of Harvard, partly among men of his own time, who disapproved of the radicalism which was bone of his bone; who were alarmed at the electric shock which he administered to the body politic, who shook their heads at the lack of respect for tradition and vested privileges, forgetting that the other Harvard Presidents, John Adams, John Quincy Adams, and Rutherford B. Hayes, all had the same spirited desire to help make the world over.

Making the world over has been the profession of Harvard College ever since its earliest days. It nourished such image-breakers as John Hancock, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Wendell Phillips--all of whom were thought by the "best people of the time" to be turning the world upsidedown. What are we here for whether students or teachers, but to concrete what we find to be good and permanent? and on that sub structure to build new mansions for our souls? What is the use of all this insistence on a man's thinking for himself, if he is not to think something that was never thought before?

Theodore Roosevelt carried out the main teachings of his University every hour of his life. His own studies in Harvard were partly scientific, partly economic and historical, not especially suited as a basis for statesmanship. Only what he elected he studied with his mind, and what he did he did with his might!

"The gentleman's grade of C" he flatly thought beneath him; his idea of a gentleman's grade was hard and thoughtful work on whatever the gentleman undertook. That landed him in Phi Beta Kappa, by direct action. Or rather it landed him among people who chose college because it was a place to do something, and then did it as well as they knew how. That principle he carried throughout his life. He never skimped or spared himself. He put Theodore Roosevelt, all there was of him, right into whatever he undertook.

Theodore Roosevelt found Harvard a place where a man thinks for himself because he has some knowledge of what other men have thought for themselves Throughout his life he was a great reader, and what is more a tenacious reader, who liked to break in on other people's specialities with some fresh illumination. He wrote books, many and to the point. In his last years he practiced the art of the journalist, through systematic and incisive articles. Few of the sons of Harvard in the last forty years have left so high or so enduring a monument of literary work in many fields. Roosevelt was the living illustration of what used rather weakly to be called "the scholar in politics". He dignified learning by showing to the whole country that a man of education, a man of letters, might nevertheless be a very good fellow, a delightful host, a crack companion in the mountains, a swift counsellor in public affairs, an administrator who went at his ends like an arrow to the quarry.

Above all, Roosevelt carried with him through life the principles and standards which Harvard men are expected to make their guides. It is impossible to measure the enormous effect upon public life of a man who was for years the foremost in the nation, on the honor of public service. He smashed the conventional ways of thinking and doing, he ignored the maxims of the professional politician, he thought that nations could be carried on like families, with consideration for others, with safeguard of the interests of posterity, with honesty and openness of dealing.

A great Harvard man he was also in his love of and belief in his College! Four other Roosevelts have followed him in the direct line into the records of Harvard University--just as four stars have appeared upon the family service flag! He loved Harvard, recognized his indebtedness to Harvard and throughout the nation and the world, caused the name of Harvard to be known as the first proving ground of a great knight.