RADIO SCHOOL EVACUATING MANY COLLEGE BUILDINGS

Will Quit Part of Hemenway Now.--Craigie and Russell Halls Free By April 1st.

The large number of men sent for ship duty and discharged from the Radio School has reduced its enrollment which at one time reached 6,300 men to 80 per cent of its strength. This has made possible withdrawal from part of the Hemenway Gymnasium and from all of Russell Hall. The school will vacate Craigie and the rest of Hemenway before April first, when the headquarters will be transferred to the Naval Training Station at the Great Lakes.

New steel lockers will be installed in Hemenway instead of the wooden ones which were removed when the building was turned over to the Radio School. There is a pressing need for new equipment but the greatest need is for the building itself. The Randolph Gymnasium was hardly large enough last year when the number engaged in indoor athletics was extremely small owing to the small enrollment and the time taken up by military activities.

Craigie Hall, which was taken over by the Radio School in November, 1917, will be renovated and let furnished next fall. Russell Hall, which with its annex accommodates 85 men, will be put in shape at the same time. The Radio School took possession of this building in January, 1918.

The history of the Radio School is one typical of fast growing war activities. It began with a few men in the Cruft Laboratory, and gradually has taken over more and more buildings, many of them belonging to the University. It has used Memorial Hall, Pierce Hall, Hemenway Gymnasium, and, finally has built its own buildings on the Common. These buildings will now disappear, for the citizens of Cambridge, who never favored erecting barracks on the Common, have decided that the area is of too great historic value to allow the present structure to remain."

Fewer and fewer candidates are now being accepted by the Radio School, will by April the number will have dwindled to small proportions compared to its war period size. When the Radio School will withdraw completely from Cambridge has not been announced, but it is certain that the University buildings now occupied will be entirely given back before the opening of the next College year.