UNIVERSITY IN FAVOR OF RATIFYING LEAGUE

ONLY 288 REJECT ENTIRELY

As a result of the straw ballot on the League of Nations held in the University yesterday, 699 men voted for the League as it stands out of a total of 1686 ballots cast. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences alone returned a positive majority for the League in its present from; but, on the other hand, in all branches of the University a decisively larger number voted for it than for any of the three other choices offered on the ballot. The total for the League, with reservations such as will not recommit the Treaty to the Peace conference, was 360; that for it, with amendments, 319; that opposed to it, 288.

A remarkable consistency was shown in the voting of the various branches of the University. Except for the Business School, which gave amendments a plurality over reservations or rejection, ratification stood first, followed by reservations, amendments and rejection, in that order. The balloting was heaviest in the Law School, where 534 students voted, but a sufficient proportion of those enrolled in every branch of the College participated to make the vote a real expression of University opinion on the national issue of the day.

It is a striking fact that the total supporting the first choice for unconditional ratification, 699, exactly equals the combined totals for reservations and amendments. The undergraduate vote was 363 for choice one as against 366 for choices two and three and that in the other departments of the University showed a similar ratio. Only 288 students who voted would completely reject the League.

Fully half the total number of men registered in the University took part in the balloting. In view of the little publicity given to it previous to yesterday, this shows an unusual interest in the question.

A tabular view of the results of the voting follows:   I.  II.  III.  IV.  Voting. College,  363  200  166  162  891 Graduate,  68  25  20  14  127 Law School,  216  133  97  88  534 Business,  52  22  36  24  134 Total,  699  360  319  288  1686