REBUILDING LOUVAIN.

Never in all history was there a more direct challenge to civilization and the culture which gives civilization its living spirit than the destruction of the University of Louvain. This deed of the Germans was likened by Cardinal Mercier to the burning of the Library of Alexandria. Our generation and the countless once to come can never succeed in making it what it was; all any of us can do is to make some effort towards restoring, if only to a small degree, the glory of its past. With the appointment of an Executive Committee, whose headquarters will be J. P. Morgan & Co., New York, a nation-wide movement for the achievement of this purpose has begun. This body has issued a statement which comes at a singularly apropos time for those who had the distinction of seeing the Cardinal: "As a tribute to his personal heroism during the war, this committee hopes to be able to assure Cardinal Mercier, before he returns to Belgium, that the fund has been completed for the building and equipment of a library for the University of Louvain--his alma mater to take the place of that destroyed by the invading German armies in 1914."

Doubtless the calls on everyone for money just at this time are very great. The success of the Endowment Drive is receiving, and should receive, first attention by those in a position to give. But the latter should consider this kindred cause of restoration in exactly the same light. The general promotion of education is being helped in both instances. This matter is primarily the college man's business. A great part of the system for which he stands was violated. From him, and from his alone, must come the first steps in wiping out the crime of the twentieth century barbarians.