BROOKS HOUSE ACTIVITIES VALUABLE TO UNIVERSITY

$5000 GOAL NOT TOO BIG

By Graduate Secretary. and Walter I. Tibbetts

With the return to normal conditions the need for some such organization as the Phillips Brooks House Association is all the more apparent. The problems of the reconstruction period are not limited to material rehabilitation, they are largely moral and spiritual. In two conspicuous ways the Association is endeavoring to have a share in solving these problems; first, by the enlisting of undergraduates in social service work, including Americanization, and second, the formation of a University Committee for Foreign Students, composed mainly of members of the Faculty.

Since last spring the Association has resumed its normal program, interrupted by the war, and will open up new activities as circumstances may warrant. The Class Day Spread held last June for men who do not spread elsewhere was unqualified success. In the latter part of June sixty men spent ten days at North-field in conference with delegations from other eastern colleges. Brooks House itself was open all summer for the use of Summer School students, and magazines and writing facilities were provided for them. Twenty-five hundred Freshman Handbooks were printed and distributed this fall. The Information Bureau, now the official Bureau for the University, has been open daily including Sunday from September 8th to the present time, and has been of incalculable service to new men, especially the list of rooms. The Christian Asociation has resumed its normal program and held its first meeting last Sunday morning. Three receptions have been held for men in the Law, Graduate, and Medical Schools respectively, and one more is to be held this week for foreign students. In addition, the St. Paul's Society gave a reception. and last Wednesday, the big Brooks House Freshman Reception was held. The Social Service Committee is already enlisting men and expects to have 500 men lined up before the year is over. Other activities already in operation or projected are the New Student Committee, the Text Book Loan Library, from which 500 books have already been drawn, the discussion groups, and the clothing and magazine collection.

While the work of the Association is largely among undergraduates, efficient organizations are maintained in the Graduate, Law, and Medical Schools. In this way, the influence of Brooks House extends to every department of the University.

It is hardly necessary to state that the continuation and extension of all these activities are dependent upon the voluntary contributions of Harvard men. The goal set for this week's campaign, $5,000, is not too big, if the Association is to continue and extend its activities