YEARLINGS TROUNCE LIGHT GROTON ELEVEN BY 26-0

V. Chapin Responsible for Two of Four Touchdowns in Game Raggedly Played.

With less effort than in the Worcester game, the 1923 eleven piled up a score of 26-0 against the light Groton team Saturday at Groton. Neither side, except in the last few minutes of the play, showed a tendency to fight hard, and the game was won, as last Saturday, by the superior system of attack and defense of the yearling team.

The game began with a punting duel between Morris of Groton and W. H. Churchill, which was continued until G. Owen, on a fake kick play, carried the ball to the enemy three-yard line. At the beginning of the second quarter V. Chapin took the ball over for a touchdown.

Then began a period of ragged play, when both sides repeatedly fumbled the ball and the Freshman left line was penalized four times for offside. At the end of the second quarter, when Groton was punting from their own goal line, their defense gave way and allowed three of the Harvard line to break through and block the kick. The ball was recovered by the Freshmen on Groton's two-yard line. Chapin then rushed across the necessary two yards by a mass play. P. B. Kunhardt, acting captain, missed the goal. The next touchdown was made when Chapin on and end run gained 15 yards, and in the next play Owen covered the remaining 10 yards to the goal. Buell kicked goal. The final score was made in the last few minutes of play by straight football.

The Summary:

1923.  GROTON.De Jonge, Selden, r.e.  l.e., Farr, ClarkKunhardt, Lee, r.t.  l.t., Goodwin, Greenough, La FargeReynolds, r.g.  l.g., Storey, HollisterClarke, Post, c.  c., BradfordWood, Fiske, Cooper, l.g.  r.g., NorrisLadd, Kennedy. l.t.  r.t., WheelockHartley, Worthington, Newell, l.e.  r.e., Dibbley (Capt.)Buell, q.b.  q.b., MacVeigh, HammondChurchill, Wilson, Field, r.h.b.  l.h.b.,McLaughlinChapin, Dempsey, l.h.b.  r.h.b., MorroisOwen, f.b.  f.b., Van Rensselae