R. L. LIPMAN TAKES TENNIS TITLE IN 3 STRAIGHT SETS

DOUBLES FINALS TOMORROW

Robert L. Lipman 3L., of Berkeley, California, won the singles championship of the University yesterday by defeating L. A. de Turenne '21 in straight sets, 6-3, 7-5, 6-0. The match was well-played and hard-fought throughout, both players evidently being at the top of their game. The second set was the most spectacular, as Turenne rallied with the score 1 to 5 against him and pulled up to 5 all before Lipman could recover himself. The last set the graduate student won easily, 6-0, only two of the games going to deuce.

The entire match was characterized by well-placed drives, and tremendous smashes. Lipman elected to take the net often, where he won point after point by well directed returns. Turenne excelled in deep court play and used his back-hand stroke with telling effect. Lipman served most effectively and showed a change of speed that was very disconcerting to his opponent.

Erb and Brown Eliminated.

In the doubles match between H. Erb '20 and H. B. Brown '21 against F. T. Pratt '22 and J. M. Kleberg '22, the Sophomore pair won, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, and consequently were entitled to meet Lipman and Turenne.

In the semi-finals of the doubles, R. Rand 2L, and W. Rand 2L, defeated C. Hyams '20 and J. B. Fenno '21 by a score of 6-4, 6-4. The match was close throughout and was featured by the clever network of W. Rand.

In the other match of the semi-finals R. L. Lipman 3L, and L. A. de Turenne '21 easily won from J. M. Kleberg '22 and F. T. Pratt '22. The older players were able to place the ball at will and worked together with remarkable team play.

The finals in the doubles, between Lipman and Turenne vs. Rand and Rand, will not be played until tomorrow at 3 o'clock.