ENDOWMENT HALF COLLECTED

Fund Leaves Seven Million Mark Far Behind; Boston Leading.

When the Endowment Fund books closed throughout the country last night, not quite 49 per cent. of the entire sum had been pledged, but today's subscriptions should easily carry it over the halfway mark. Yesterday the total was raised to $7,437,961, of which the Boston canvassers had secured $3,082,240; New York, $2,658,701, and the other committees, $1,697,020.

Of the 3,264 graduates living in Boston, a little over six per cent. have made contributions of at least $2,500. The total Boston subscription so far is a trifle more than half the amount it is expected will be raised in the district.

Among the large Boston donations announced last night were the following: R. H. Dana '74, $3,000; A. Hemenway, Jr., '05 (additional), $3,000; R. E. Dodge '93, $2,500, H. R. Steadman '71, $1,500, and F. M. Ives '01, $1,200.

A number of original subscribers have voluntarily doubled, and even tripled, their first subscriptions, but the local committee declared last night that the Harvard men of Boston must be more liberal in the size of their subscriptions if the remaining half of the district's quota is to be secured within a reasonable time.