An Ancient Problem

COMMENT

The revival at Harvard of the custom of appointing Seniors as advisers to Freshmen is an interesting development in an ancient problem. It has long been realized by college authorities that parents are unsuited to act in such capacity. As Dean Briggs frankly pointed out in his entertaining "Fathers, Mothers, and Freshmen," too many fathers assure their sons that they will do everything they can to "square" them with those who are in charge of the discipline of the college, while writing those authorities to stick to their guns. Sophomores have always shown an overweening eagerness to assume responsibility for the Freshmen's every act, but it cannot be said that their methods have the sanction of disciplinary experts. Why not draft the Faculty for the job? Since members of the teaching staff have time hanging upon their hands, this suggestion has found marked favor. The success of the arrangement varies with the professor. About all that can be argued for it is that it is better than nothing. But Seniors--that's another matter. For one thing they know the ropes. More than that, Freshmen will give them what they will not so readily give parents or professors--respect. New York Evening Post.