OVERSEERS SUGGEST COMBINE

Favor Removal of University Herbarium to Jamaica Plain Location.

It has been recommended by a visiting committee of the Board of Overseers that the Botanic Garden of the University, now situated at the corner of Garden and Linnaean streets, Cambridge, should be combined with the Bussey Institution and moved to the latter's grounds at Jamaica Plain. Both of these places are connected with the University. The Botanic Garden, which was founded here in 1807, and became famous under the 30-year directorship of Dr. Asa Gray, contains at present more than 5000 species of flowering plants, cultivated for educational and scientific purposes. The Bussey Institution, with which the Visitation Committee wishes to combine the Garden, is the Graduate School of Applied Biology.

This combination is advised on the grounds that it is impossible to carry on the work successfully in both places since the income from the present endowment is far too small to meet the expenses. Thus it is planned to lower expenses by combining the two similar institutions within the same grounds. Another argument in favor of the change is the fact that a combination of the two would prevent duplication in the work hereafter as well as giving the Bussey students, all of whom remain for summer work, an opportunity to use the Garden at the time of its greatest usefulness.