SETTING A STANDARD.

Not all of us realize how much depends upon the results of the Endowment Drive. That which is at stake, the standard of education, the necessity of great minds to train undeveloped ones, the interests of the ones who give their careers for our enlightenment, is of deep significance. Upon the graduate rests the fate of that great wish of the University, so well expressed by Mr. Perkins at the recent meeting of the Harvard Clubs: "to go on and do the work for the world which up to this time she has done so well, and do it in larger measure than she has ever yet been able to do it."

Those altruistic influences which impress themselves forever on the thoughts and actions of Harvard men, reaching far beyond personal interests, must again show their force. The seriousness of the whole problem will then be thoroughly driven home to every circle of education. The world, taking the action of Harvard as a standard, will understand the colossal importance of properly remunerating those who would guide, enlighten, and inspire its young minds.