CONSIDER NEW TENNIS LEAGUE

MAY APPROVE COMBINE WITH YALE, PRINCETON, CORNELL AND PENNSYLVANIA.

Intercollegiate tennis matches, under the auspices of an Intercollegiate Tennis League between the University, Yale, Princeton, Pennsylvania and Cornell has been proposed, and is now under consideration at the various universities. Hawkes of the Yale tennis team is at the head of this proposed league, and he, together with Captain Garland of Yale, were the originators of the plan. The constitution has been formulated between the various universities, and it is expected that within a few weeks' time the league will be ratified by the tennis managements and the athletic committees.

Members of the winning team will probably be awarded major letters, the winning team being considered that one which has the most victories over other league teams to its credit. Captain Garland of Yale writes that he has every assurance that Yale will award the major letter, and Manager Warner of Princeton expects Princeton to ratify the league and the insignia award.

Constitution Provides for Major Letters.

If this league is thus ratified it will provide a means of winning the major letter in tennis which has hitherto been restricted to the winners in the singles and doubles intercollegiate tournaments.

Below is the constitution of the proposed league with the exception of the clause relative to the major letter:

Proposed Constitution of League.

1. That an Intercollegiate Tennis League should be formed between Yale, Harvard, Pennsylvania and Cornell, under the auspices of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, for the purpose of determining the Intercollegiate League championship.

2. That additional membership in the League should be decided by a unanimous vote of the member teams.

3. That the captains of the member teams should be an executive committee for the League.

4. That each team in the League should play every other team in the League at least a four-man match, and a six-man match if possible.

5. That the winner of a League match be credited with one point towards the League championship, the championship to be determined on a percentage basis by the number of League matches won and lost by each team.

6. That the winner of the League championship be awarded a banner.

7. That the dues of the League should be five dollars a year for each member college, payable to the treasurer.

8. That the manager of each member, team should include the aforesaid member teams in his schedules.