SOCCER SEASON SATISFACTORY

COACH BURGESS OPTIMISTIC IN REGARD TO PROSPECTS FOR 1920.

"The results of the first regular season of soccer since 1916 have been very satisfactory in view of the great difficulties under which we have been working," said Coach Burgess recently in a review of the present soccer year. "We haven't had many men to work with who have had experience in a college game before, as the only player on the team who I have coached before at the University is Kellett; and he has put up a splendid game at right inside forward. Another disadvantage that counted against us was the short time for practice before the games. The first men reported at the field only three weeks before the Andover game, but a great many did report then and the interest that they have shown in the game, their eagerness to improve, and their regular attendance have all tended to produce a good team. When practice first started I thought I had a pretty crude squad to work with, but they have developed so well that I have the greatest expectations of defeating Yale."

Good Prospects for 1920.

In commenting on the prospects of the team for the 1920 season, Coach Burgess stated, "There is no reason why we shouldn't have an excellent team next year. Although some of our best men, as Tilton, Glaser and Kellett, will have graduated, still the majority of the players will remain to furnish an experienced nucleus upon which to build our 1920 team."

Mr. Burgess expressed himself as satisfied with the early season games. "The Andover and Springfield games gave me an idea of the material I had and showed me what the players could do in a real game. The games we played on our trip were by far the hardest and the team played finely at a great disadvantage.

"I have three fine men in Fisher, Tilton and Glaser. Fisher, at forward, is a powerful offense man and has accounted for a good share of our goals. Captain Tilton, halfback, and Glaser, fullback, are in the game every minute and are constantly breaking up their opponents' plays. But the other men are good, too; they all are getting onto the game better as time goes on and by next year we ought to have an all-star team."

The soccer team has won two games, against Andover and Springfield; tied one with Cornell, and lost two, against Princeton and a team of Chinese students. The season lasts until the 29th, when Haverford is played. Saturday the Yale soccer aggregation will oppose the University players.

The first game, with Andover, was won 3-1 and was fast and well-played despite the obvious superiority of the University players.

On the 30th of October a more or less informal game was played with a very fast aggregation of Chinese students in which the latter won 1-0.

Another victory was scored against Springfield Y. M. C. A. by a 1-0 score. During the first half Springfield excelled in offensive play, but in the last period the University kickers braced and took the ball down the field for a goal.

On the trip to Cornell the team had the difficulty of having to travel for two nights on Pullman sleepers and to play two hard games, but they fought hard in these contests, as in the preceding ones and managed to tie Cornell, 2-2, and put up a great game against Princeton.

Last Saturday, in a brilliantly-played game, the Pennsylvania team overcame the University, 3-0.