THE REAL GRIEVANCE.

To "men of parts," perhaps the greatest misfortune derived from the non-ratification of the peace-treaty has seemed neglected. President Wilson has refused to lift the dry-ban yoke from the necks of a husky nation. The failure of the treaty prolongs war and thirst. Just at the time when people are looking forward to a different and more liberal order of things has the Senate so cynically proved to us that the sacrifices of the last two years have been in vain. Little did the poor unsuspecting public dream that the partisans of party politics would carry matters so far. Little did they think that a senator of the United States would place his party before his cup. But there are whisperings abroad that those same thirst-inspiring senators have "a jug 'neath the bough" carefully stored away. What better argument than this on the evils of the American government could any self-suspecting bolshevist employ?

O shades of departed centuries! Are we to allow this "willful group of men" to undermine our self-respect by forcing us to the yeast-cake and the vanilla extract? If the President had declared the emergency law cancelled, think of what tonight would be. Think of what next morning would be. Truly, the war was a terrible war to have changed the world so much.