UNDEFEATED ELEVEN WILL REPRESENT HARVARD IN CONTEST WITH YALE IN STADIUM THIS AFTERNOON

Review of Season Shows Crimson as Only Eastern Team With Unscathed Record.--Victories Over Bates, Boston College, Colby, Brown, Virginia, Springfield, and Tufts.

The University presents an undefeated team against the strong Yale eleven today, having won seven and tied one game, amassing a total of 212 points to its opponents' 10. Princeton, by a touchdown and field goal in the game two weeks ago, has been the only team to score of the Crimson. With the downfall of Colgate and Dartmouth last Saturday, Harvard became the only eastern eleven of importance to approach the completion of its season with a clean record.

Except for the contest with the Tigers the eleven has had no hard struggle, the nearest approach being in the Boston College and Brown games when the final scores stood at 17-0 and 7-0 respectively.

The injury to R. Horween '20 in the B. C. game was the most serious to the University of any of the early season mishaps. His dislocated collar bone laid him up until the Princeton game, while in that game he injured it again so that he is not yet in good condition. E. D. Weatherhead '22, R. K. Kane '22, S. Burnham Occ., M. Phinney Occ., and J. K. Desmond Occ. have also sustained more or less serious injuries.

Review of the Season.

In the first game of the season, on September 27, the Crimson eleven over-whelmed the Bates College team by a 53 to 0 score. The Maine boys put up a plucky fight but the greater weight and experience of the home team counted heavily against them. Except for frequent fumbling the game was remarkably free from early season blunders. E. L. Casey Occ starred by his long runs of 45 and 65 yards, while W. J. Murray Occ. and R. Horween Occ. were deciding factors in the game.

On October 4, the University eleven won its second game by defeating Boston College 17-0. The game was much harder fought and better played than the Bates game. The interference, especially after kick-offs, was better than the week before when it was inclined to be ragged. There was less fumbling and better team play than had hitherto been shown. Heaphy of Boston played an excellent game at centre, while Murray, R. Horween, and Casey played brilliantly on the University side.

Colby Smothered, 35-0.

The experienced and more powerful University team had little trouble in smashing through the Colby line to a 35-0 score on October 11. Colby fought hard, but could make no headway against the Crimson men. The most notable part of the contest from the Harvard view-point was the successful completion of all of the five attempted forward passes. The University players showed more ability and power in opening holes in the line, but exhibited poor interference in the open field. No brilliant plays were made although Casey, F. C. Church '20, R. S. Humphrey '21, and A. D. Hamilton '21 played consistently well.

Brown Puts Up Good Fight.

Brown put up more opposition than any of the other teams during the early season games and held the University to a 7-0 score on October 18. The touchdown came in the first quarter when an 80-yard march down the field swept the Brown team off its feet. During the second half a series of criss-cross plays took the Brown football machine from their own 25-yard line to the University's 22-yard mark before the Crimson men could stop the onrush. J. K. Ryan Occ and P. D. Steele '20 in the end berths, accounted for many brilliant plays. R. M. Sedgwick '21 and Hamilton were largely responsible in stopping their opponents' advance. It was during this game that Horween dislocated his collar bone.

Virginia an Easy Victim.

Captain Murray's eleven easily overcame the University of Virginia team 47-0 on October 25, exhibiting a far surer and more finished game than they had hitherto played. Excellent interference cleared the path for long runs by Murray, Humphrey and Church. The latter played an all-around smashing game and scored two touchdowns by his line plunges. During the very first minute of play Murray tore off 42 yards which was shortly followed by a touchdown by A. Horween '20, made after a 20-yard run. On the kick-off afterwards Humphrey ran back the ball 67 yards to the 30-yard line.

The Crimson met its first formidable aerial attack in the game with the Springfield Y. M. C. A. on November 1. Out of 31 forward passes attempted by Springfield, 13 were successful, and more undoubtedly would have been except for the slippery field. The total University score was made in the first half when the regular first string men were in the fray. Casey easily starred, being responsible for the three touchdowns through his long runs and a forward pass.

Princeton Tied in Thrilling Contest.

In a game that is destined to go down in the annals of gridiron history, the Crimson eleven fought its way from what looked like certain defeat to a 10-10 tie with Princeton. In the last few minutes of play the University team plunged 70 yards down the field for the touchdown that evened the score. The Orange and Black team showed its most powerful offense in the first quarter when it marched down the field from the Princeton 10-yard mark to a touchdown. The University scored in the last period by a pass over the goal line from W. B. Felton Occ. to Casey. With defeat or a tie at stake Church kicked the goal from a difficult angle. Casey played a wonderful game by his long dashes and his dodging runs, netting in all 182 yards.

For the Tiger team, Trimble, by his forward passes, Strubing, by his marvelous field generalship, and Captain McGraw, as the mainstay of the Princeton line, were the outstanding stars. The University eleven was taken unaware by the furious initial onslaught of the Tigers and it took half the game before they could pull together and save themselves from defeat.

Substitutes Defeat Tufts.

With a team made up essentially of substitutes, the Crimson team easily overcame the Tufts eleven 23-0, last Saturday. During the whole first half Tufts held the University players scoreless, but after Felton had kicked a field goal late in the third period, the points piled up rapidly. Several times during the first half the Medford team seemed to menace the Harvard goal and twice Thornton attempted a field goal, but the ball fell short both times. For the University A. Horween played a terrific, driving game, while Church made some clever end runs which more than once took the pigskin within striking distance of the goal, and enabled Horween or Nelson to push it across.

While the substitutes were playing Tufts, most of the University regulars, along with many of the coaches, watched Yale and Princeton battle in the Bowl at New Haven