HARVARD'S CREED

By Guy EMERSON .

IAM HARVARD.

All men know my fame and outward aspect. But my sons alone know my heart. Not from narrow confines do my sons come to me. They make their way from the East, where I have grown from small beginnings nearly three centuries ago, side by side with the growth of a great nation and as an integral part of its faith and striving. They make their way from the West, where vigorous American manhood, with its face to the setting sun, hewed out an empire and established the fighting spirit of truth throughout a great land. They come to me from the South and the North, from every farm and village and city, where clean hearted, clear eyed boys have turned toward me as the mother of colleges, the great teacher of opportunities grasped and dreams come true.

They are the builders who have made me great. And on what foundation stones, think you, have they built? On money? On family tradition? They have wrought with materials more eternal.

They have laid my foundations on faith, on eternal visions of fair dealing, and fashioned my greatness with red blooded manhood and shoulder to shoulder contact with their fellow men.

Where the call of conflict is there will my sons be found. Where victories are won my sons will be triumphant. And where great causes for a time go crashing to defeat my sons will take their medicine like men. But the truth that burns in their hearts can never die.

Because the war was fought for right I gave unsparingly of my sons and my resources. And not until the last great battle of freedom and justice is fought shall my task be complete.

I ask no man for money. I do my work with my eyes upon the eternal stars and my feet upon the grim realities of American life and the problems and dreams of its vital and human men and women.

But as truth will endure, so shall the vision in the sons of Harvard endure. As they are strong, so shall I be strong.

For I am Harvard, the mother of colleges, the home of truth, the dwelling place of men.

Harvard will see it through!