A NEW PHASE

The wisdom of reorganizing the Harvard Endowment Fund Campaign on a class team basis will, we hope, be amply justified. Already the drive has taken on new vigor, and at the present rate the quota of fifteen million dollars should be filled by the end of the year.

In an article recently published in the Outlook some interesting figures are given which bring out most forcibly the important position held by the colleges in the life of the country. Although less than one per cent of American men are university graduates, yet this one percent, has furnished:

55 per cent. of the Presidents.

36 per cent of the Members of Congress.

47 per cent. of the Speakers of the House.

54 per cent. of the Vice-Presidents.

69 per cent of the Justices of the Supreme Court.

These statistics must show to the country at large as well as to college graduates the immense debt that is owed to the universities, and particularly to the teaching upon which every institution depends. Since 1905 there has been no increase in the salaries of the members of the Harvard Faculty. A man who has spent seven years in training receives only $1260 a year, an amount earned by the majority of day laborers. Now if over is the time to prove that "training the mind" is worth more to the community than "minding the train."