OLIVER MOROSCO PRIZE GOES TO RACHEL BARTON BUTLER

FORMER RADCLIFFE STUDENT

Miss Rachel Barton Butler has been adjudged the winner of the Morosco Prize offered by Oliver Morosco, the theatrical producer, for the best play submitted by a member, past or present, of English 47 or 47a at Harvard or Radcliffe.

Miss Butler was a member of Professor G. P. Baker's course in play-writing as a Radcliffe student in 1915, 1916 and 1917. The play which she submitted and which has won the prize is a comedy entitled "Mamma's Affair."

According to the terms of the competition, Miss Butler receives a prize of $500, her play is accepted for production, and in addition she will receive royalties while it is running. Mr. Morosco announces that the play is now in rehearsal and will open about January 1 at the Little Theatre in New York City. The cast will include Bessie Shannon, Amelia Bingham, Katherine Kalared, Robert Edeson, Ida Leon and George La Cuerre.

Other Plays May Be Produced.

Mr. Morosco will retain the other plays submitted in the competition for about 10 days more, because he is considering three or four in addition to "Mamma's Affair" for production.

The announcement of the prize competition was first made to the College authorities during the early summer, and at that time Professor Baker communicated with those who were eligible. The competition closed on October 1.

Terms of the Competition.

The announcement of the terms of the prize follows:

Mr. Morosco offers a prize of $500 for the prose dramatic composition of at least three acts adjudged by a committee of three to be the best suited for professional production. Plays submitted must be the absolute property of the author and not subject to any copyright or other claim by or in favor of a third person.

The competition is open only to past or present members of English 47 or 47a in Harvard University or Radcliffe College. Among these, no one who at the time for submitting manuscripts has already had a long play professionally produced may compete.