ARMENIAN MISSION SEEKS A GUARANTEED NEUTRALITY

General Bagratooni Describes Suffering of His Fellow Countrymen--Distrusts League.

Yesterday the University entertained as its guests prominent members of the Armenian Mission to the United States. Headed by General Bagratooni, this mission has come to America to seek support for the newly established Armenian Republic, which is once more threatened by the Turks.

Throughout the war Armenia has suffered perhaps more than any other nation, and today she stands impoverished and encircled by enemies. General bagratooni, one of the most famous of the Armenian heroes of the war by virtue of his defence of Baku against the Turkish forces for eight months, is endeavoring to secure some alleviation of the dire wants of his country. When asked about the aims of the mission here and the condition of Armenia at the present time the General said:

"Armenia depends for its life upon the immediate assistance of the Great Powers. This is no exaggeration--either we gain support today or tomorrow we are wiped from the earth. The Turks, and the Young Turkish party in particular, are reorganizing to absorb us again, and we are too exhausted to light them without outside support.

"Conditions in Armenia today are worse than ever before, and there is no relief in sight unless the United States will help us. Trains of supplies that have recently been sent to Armenia have been captured by Turkish forces, with the result that Armenia is starving and helpless. You may not believe it, but the Turks are now forcing the youth of Armenia into the Turkish army and are giving them a single alternative--that of being hung.

Three Requests of Armenia.

"First of all Armenia asks for universal recognition of her independence as an integral state that she may start to develop her policies to build a government and to recover from the havoc wrought by the war. Without recognition by the powers she cannot hope to survive.

"Second, we want, if possible, to have our neutrality guaranteed as is the case in Belgium and Switzerland. We are still too small and too unformed to stand alone against the ring of enemies about us. Lastly, we want material support--supplies, provisions, medicines, everything. The war has left us destitute and the misery of my country is beyond description."

Asked as to the League of Nations and the United States' possible mandate for Turkey, General Bagratooni said that he doubted the efficacy of the League.

"Armenia's hope does not lie in the League of Nations, but rather in the generosity of the world. We have for all time stood as a barrier between the Moslem empire and Christianity. Our sufferings have been to save the ideals of civilization, and the world cannot fail to aid us now that we stand helpless and alone. As to Turkey, if the United States wishes to help that criminal government, then we must look elsewhere for support. Of all the countries in the world, Turkey is most barbarous, most inhuman."

Surprised at Size of Museum.

Of the University, all the members of the Mission were unable to express sufficient admiration. The University Museum in particular astounded them by its size and completeness, and they agreed that it surpassed any other similar building within their experience. Professor A. B. Hart '80 was in charge of the expedition and escorted the visitors to the several points of interest in the University.