ELI TRACK TEAM WILL GO TO ENGLAND NEXT SUMMER

CREW MAY GO ALSO

According to reports received from New Haven, Yale is planning to send to England its track team, and possibly its crew, regardless of whether the University accompanies them or not. Yale track officials assert that not only has the challenge been sent across the ocean by Professor Mendel, chairman of the Yale Athletic Board of Control, but that the Yale board has already voted to allow the team to go to England.

The official statement from Yale reads in part as follows:

"The Yale authorities have communicated with Harvard as to the desirability of sending a challenge to the two English universities, and Professor Mendel has written Oxford and Cambridge asking whether they will consider a challenge for a meet in England next summer with Yale and Harvard. The Yale Board of Control voted last month to sanction a meet with the English universities even if Harvard should find it impossible to participate."

During the past week Mr. W. F. Garcelon '95, in whose hands the matter has been placed by the University, has been in New Haven to confer with Professor Mendel and others of the Yale board as to the advisability of sending a joint track team abroad. From his trip to New Haven no definite results were accomplished, and the matter as far as the University is concerned is still entirely unsettled. No further action has been taken by the Athletic Committee, and it is not expected that it will consider the matter until more definite information is available.

If there should be a joint meet this year it would break the tie that now exists between the Cambridge-Oxford and Harvard-Yale teams. The first engagement took place in 1899 on British soil, where the English triumphed five points to four, each place counting a point. On a return meet in 1901 in New York the Americans were more fortunate, winning by a 6 to 3 score, and this performance was again repeated in England three years later. In 1911 the Englishmen came to the fore again with a 5 to 4 victory, thus tying the series.