INTERCOLLEGIATE HOCKEY CENTERS IN PHILADELPHIA

Largest Rink in World Chosen for Chief University Games.--Boston League Formed.

Philadelphia is to be the center of intercollegiate hockey for this winter, with the exception of the games that the University teams will play in the Cambridge Ice Pavilion. With the Arena destroyed in Boston, Massachusetts has no claim now for hockey supremacy, and New York has also sacrificed its claim by the closing of the St. Nicholas Rink.

Yale and Princeton have both signed up for a number of matches in Philadelphia and it is probable that several games of the triangular series between Princeton, Yale, and the University will be played there. Yale's hockey plight is caused by the alteration of the New Haven Arena from a skating rink into an association for general sports.

Philadelphia has this year found hockey enthusiasts flocking to her, because of the erection of the mammoth Ice Palace now nearing completion at Forty-fifth and Market streets. Although operations were begun only on October 28, the steel work is up, parts of the roof have been put on, and the management hopes to be able to start skating on or about Christmas Day.

The surface open to skaters measures 220 by 201 feet, making it one of the largest in the world, and it is estimated that a crowd of 2,500 will be able to skate in comfort when the rink is opened to the public on Saturdays and holidays. The Ice Palace will have 4,000 seats giving it the largest seating capacity of any structure of its kind in the world. Beside the so-called "Big Three", Dartmouth and Pennsylvania are among the others who will use the Philadelphia rink.

Yale in Yule-Tide Invasion of Canada.

At Yale a tentative hockey schedule has been issued which comprises besides the University and Princeton series, the unusual feature of a trip through Canada. This tour which is the first extensive trip to be made by an American college hockey team in Canada, will take place during the latter part of the Christmas vacation.

The New Haven team will meet five of the strongest sevens in the Ontario Hockey Association, which is composed of the best amateur teams to be found among the Canadian universities and clubs. The games that will be played in the order they come are as follows: Hamilton, Tiger Athletic Club, Queens University, St. Michael's College of Toronto, and the Port Colburne Hockey Club. The Yale team will practice on the Philadelphia rink during the early part of the vacation if the rink is completed by that date.

The tentative Yale schedule in the United States is as follows:

Jan. 5.--Open date at Philadelphia.

Jan. 10.--Princeton at Philadelphia.

Jan. 17.--Harvard at Cambridge.

Jan. 31.--Princeton at Philadelphia.

Feb. 14.--Harvard at Philadelphia.

Feb. 21.--Harvard at Cambridge.

Feb. 28.--Princeton at Philadelphia.

Talbot Hunter, a Canadian player and former coach at Cornell, has been appointed to take charge of the Yale hockey team.

Boston Forms New League.

In Boston it has been definitely decided to have a four-team amateur league which will go by the name of the Boston Amateur Hockey League and will contain the following teams: B. A. A., Harvard Club, Y. D. Club, and Dartmouth Club. The Crescents, who are now known as the Shoe Traders Club, have been refused admittance to this league. Arrangements have been made for the league to play all their matches in the Ice Pavilion.

The omission of the Crescents is considered by many as an unwise move because they have always had one of the best sevens in the East, and recruit their players from the schools rather than the colleges. The B. A. A. is the only organization left that gives hockey players not from the universities a chance to develop. Both the B. A. A. and the Harvard Club will be able to put out strong teams this winter and the championship will probably lie between these two. The Y. D. Club unless it changes its rules to allow other than ex-service men to play will be the weakest of the quartet this season and will grow weaker as time goes on.