MILLIONS LEFT IN "Y" FUND FOR SERVICE SCHOLARSHIPS

46,000 Scholarships Planned, Including 200 in Universities and Colleges.

To teach the ex-service man and to give him the benefit of a university education if he is worthy of it, is the aim of the war-work council of the Y. M. C. A. Its extensive program for education and training of the soldiers in Europe was halted by the sudden coming of the armistice and the immediate demobilization of the army.

For this purpose $2,000,000 still remained unexpended and the War Council has decided that the best use for this money will be to apply it to the education of the thousands of ex-service men to whom the war has taught the necessity of a complete education, particularly along technical and mechanical lines.

The fund appropriated for scholarships will be allotted to States on the basis of $10 per 1,000 inhabitants and it is expected that more than 46,000 scholarships will be awarded during the coming year. Of these, the majority will be given for Y. M. C. A. courses, correspondence schools, etc., and only 200 will be in the colleges, universities, and technical schools of this country.