AMERICA TO COMPETE IN GAMES

LARGE NUMBER OF ATHLETES WILL REPRESENT THIS COUNTRY IN OLYMPICS

That America will compete in the Olympic games to be held at Antwerp, Belgium, in August, 1920, was decided at a recent dinner held at the New York Athletic Club when the American Olympic Committee conferred with Colonel Osterreith, Belgian Director-General of Sports.

Plans for the organization and transportation of the United States team are still in a vague condition, but it has been practically agreed that the United States will send more than a hundred athletes, including football players, swimmers, runners, cyclists, marksmen, and fencers to compete in the games.

According to present plans, the teams will sail from this country early in July, and the competitions, beginning about the middle of August, will last for three or four weeks. Try-outs for track and field athletics will be held in various parts of the United States. The winners will meet in a final set of competitions somewhere in the East shortly before the time set for departure.

Other Nations Busy Preparing.

France, England, Italy, and the Scandinavian countries have already started preparations for the training of their competitors. Judging from these preliminary trials, the accepted opinion in America that the United States will have an easy contest in the track events is by no means warranted.

England is preparing for the games in a business-like way, and without going too closely into the cause of their Olympic deficiencies, it is possible to say that no repetition, of such incidents as those which happened in 1912 can occur next year. England is adopting the methods of other countries, and her men will be well equipped and carefully handled.

Spiked running shoes and cinder running paths are English inventions, and hurdle racing, shot-putting and hammer throwing likewise originated in the British Isles; yet, with all its just claims of priority in track and field events, England has never shown any marked superiority.

France Advanced in Training.

The representatives of France are reported to be more advanced in training than those of any other nation, with the possible exception of the United States. The training is being carried on at a camp near the Pershing Stadium, which is in reality a university of sport. Using the army organization as a background, the training is carried on with both civilian and military athletes.

The system of instruction includes a moving picture theatre, which shows how the world's best athletes perform; the pictures are slowed down so that every movement is clearly visible. After seeing the films the students are taken to the camp grounds, where they receive individual instruction. The system has proved its worth and is bringing excellent results, especially in the javelin, shot-putting and hurdling events.

Large Representation Expected.

The committee for the American team has not yet decided as to how many men will represent this country, but there is certain to be a larger United States team than ever before in the history of the games. With regard to the selection of the men, it is understood that a policy similar to that of former years will be followed.

The amount necessary for the expenses will probably reach $200,000, the largest sum ever spent by this country for the Olympic games. The increased size of the team will add to the expenses, and the committee in charge will no doubt raise the money by popular subscription.