CHRISTMAS LIST OF HARVARD PRESS SHOWS WIDE SCOPE

NEW BOOK BY SCHOFIELD

The Harvard University Press has published its annual catalogue of Christmas books, which may now be obtained at the leading bookstores in Cambridge. This catalogue, which is designed as a reference list for those who are contemplating making Christmas purchases from the University Press publications, is a selection from the complete catalogue of more than 300 volumes, and represents the wide range covered by these books. In it are listed books on science and art, on literature and economics, as well as on business and public affairs.

Fine Arts and English Included.

The first division is Fine Arts, and includes books on artists and on early Greek sculpture. Secondly comes "Harvard Studies in English," the publication of which has but recently been taken over by the Press. The books in this division deal with the analysis and the place of the various characters of English novels in literature.

Comparable to this group is "Harvard Studies in Comparative Literature," including two books by Professor W. H. Schofield '93, "Chivalry in English Literature," and "Mythical Bards and the Life of William Wallace." The latter book has been but recently written and will be on sale the 15th of the month. It treats of early British folk-lore, with especial emphasis on the tale of William Wallace as set forth by "Blind Harry," practically the only source of our knowledge of the legendary hero's deeds.

Five books by Professor G. L. Kittredge '82 comprise the fourth section of the catalogue. These are discussions of English Literature from Chaucer through Shakespere, with a digression in the form of a book on "The Old Farmer and His Almanack." The literature of countries other than England is considered in the group headed "Belles-Lettres." A book that has just been put on sale is "Kostes Palamas! Life Immovable," a translation by Aristides E. Phoutrides '11, a former instructor at the University.

Three Works Discussing Dante.

Dante is accorded a division to himself, and three books discussing this writer are listed, including one by Professor C. H. Grandgent '83 of the University.

Leaving the purely literary publications, a large division of the catalogue is devoted to business and public affairs. The books of six professors in the University are given, dealing with all aspects of the many economic questions. R. F. Foerster's book on "Italian Emigration," which will be ready for sale in a few days, has been declared the best and most authoritative book published on this question. The last group comprises seven books on the collected addresses of Elihu Root, LL.D., '07, edited by Robert Bacon '94 and James B. Scott '90.