SELECT SUTHERLAND AS NEW UNIVERSITY SWIMMING COACH

PRACTICE PERIOD SHIFTED

Alexander Sutherland, well known among Massachusetts natators, has been appointed coach of the University and Freshman swimming teams, to succeed Coach Waters, who was in charge of the teams at the Cambridge Y. M. C. A. last year. Sutherland has had unusual coaching experience and has everywhere met with success.

Besides being a swimming coach of considerable fame, he has also won distinction as a boxer. In the 145-pound amateur national championship, Sutherland was runner-up for the title, and later annexed the New England Amateur Championship.

During the war he served for a time as boatswain on the U. S. S. Virginia, seeing foreign service in that capacity. On the return of the Virginia he was transferred to the First Naval District, where he acted as head swimming instructor. A resident of Brookline, Sutherland has long been a member of the Brookline Swimming Club.

In addition to his work with the University teams, Sutherland will also continue in his position as instructor of swimming at both Andover and M. I. T. Associated with swimming at Andover for six years, Sutherland has been uniformly successful with the result that Andover now holds the interscholastic record in the relay events. At M. I. T. he has been able to place six men in the intercollegiate meets.

With the appointment of Sutherland as coach, the large swimming squad which has been reporting will soon be moulded into shape. The practice hours on Wednesday afternoons hereafter will be from 4 to 5 instead of from 5 to 6 as on other days. Although the time of practice on Mondays and Fridays now conflicts with the practice hours of M. I. T., no other change will be made at present.