THE SHEEP'S-CLOTHING MENACE.

Evidence is becoming overwhelming that, in spite of the wordy smoke-screen and conciliatory barrage emanating from Berlin, German character has not much changed with defeat. This is partly due to the Teutonic mind which refused to believe that the Central Powers were crushed; partly due to the obvious facts that old international jealousies and frictions are cropping out among the Allies. But whatever the causes of the regeneration of the old Prussian arrogance, the world is endangered until the Germans are made to realize that they must turn over a new leaf.

At the present time Germany has an army of some 1,200,000 men. Of course, with typical Teutonic subtlety, this force is camouflaged in various ways: Home Guards, Police, and the 400,000 standing army allowed by the Allies to combat Bolshevism. The fact remains, however, that Germany has these men, all armed with the latest war appliances. In them the old Hohenzollern military spirit is rejuvenated.

It is not necessary to point out that the hard-won and none too stable peace of Europe is in grave danger as long as the Germans are allowed to keep such a formidable army. Immediate action by the Allies will put a stop to the budding menace. Every effort must be made to keep the Treaty of Versailles from becoming a second Peace of Tilsit.