DOWN TO EARTH.

In the February issue of the "Bookman" is published an article entitled "Detestable Words." This gives a few examples of words which the editor despises. According to the "Bookman," "sense" appears as a verb in every form from the "father sensed his son's abstraction" to the "peeling infant sensed the coming of the succulent milk-bottle." "Poignant" is on the blacklist because of its downright stupidity, "stipend" because of its oily politician sound. "Remuneration" is a foolishly long latinized word, and "dainty" and "refined" are classed as belonging to the "chewing gum" variety.

To this admirable list perhaps we can add a few others which it has been our own misfortune to observe. On one tragic occasion, we accepted an editorial which mentioned something as one of the most "enjoyable" features of college life. Another time we solemnly declared that the University "rejoices in the fact," etc. We defy the ability of anyone to picture in his mind the University rejoicing. Once again, read of a man over-come by a "virulent obsession"--whatever that may mean.

All these examples plainly indicate the absurdity of using words merely for the effect of their sounds. What applies in editorial writing applies in the every day college course. No matter whether it is in English composition or Greek translation, if one can tell his story in straight-forward language, instead of ranting about a "virulent obsession," one has a much better opportunity of gaining his instructor's good will.