CRIMSON WON RELAY BY 15 YDS.

LEAD SHIFTED MANY TIMES IN EXCITING RACE WITH CRACK S. A. A. TEAM

Better condition and judgment gave the University relay team a clean cut victory over the Boston Athletic Association at the Service Meet at the East Armory Saturday evening. The time was 6 minutes, 47 1-5 seconds for the 2,816 yard distance, each man running four laps or 704 yards.

H. D. Costigan '20 led of for the University and best Leathe of the B. A. A. to the first corner. He held this advantage throughout the four laps and handed over a three-yard lead to W. H. Goodwin '20. At the Start of the Second lap Mahoney of the B. A. A. went ahead by 15 yards but Goodwin spurted on the final stretch and the runners finished even. On the exchange of batons, the Crimson had the advantage, D. F. O'Connell '21 taking the first corner ahead of Paine. Paine went ahead before the lap was ended, but O'Connell soon tore by him and was twenty yards to the good at the start of the final relay. D. J. Duggan '20 ran a steady, well-planned race which just managed to stave off Rose's sprint on the third lap. He broke the tape 15 yards ahead of the B. A. A. runner.

In the other races of the evening, the University runners did not show to such good advantage, C. E. Dexter '22, being the only representative to place. He was a good second to Leathe of the B. A. A. in the mile run. Wingate Rollins '16 representing the Navy and M. I. T. won both the service and the open 60-yard dash.