COLE AND PUTNAM GAINED FRANCE'S HIGHEST AWARD

Two of University's Most Heroic Dead; Major and Famous Aviator Re-Decorated.

Membership in the Legion of Honor, the highest decoration which is conferred by the French Government has been awarded posthumously to two alumni of the University, Major Edward B. Cole '02 and First Lieutenant David E. Putnam '20. This honor is given only for "bravery and gallantry in action."

The latest recognition is the third bestowed on Major Cole, the Croix de Guerre and the Distinguished Service Cross previously having been awarded him. He was commissioned a lieutenant in the Marine Corps in April, 1904, and served at a number of posts until commissioned a captain in February, 1914. He was given the rank of major just before sailing for France in 1917, and met his death in the battle of Belleau Wood.

Lieutenant Putnam also held the French War Cross before the award of this last decoration. He had a total of twenty enemy planes and an observation balloon to his credit when he was brought down on the Lorraine front by four German planes. He was the leader of the University's "Aces".