MAJOR SWAN SPEAKS HIGHLY OF SHANNON'S WORK ABROAD

LAUDS CORPS' RESULTS

"The excellent training and personnel of the old Harvard regiment was felt all through the American Expeditionary Force", said Major Carroll J. Swan '01, of the 101st Engineers, in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter. "I think that everyone associated with the R. O. T. C. should be justly proud of the result attained, and I hope that the work of the regiment will be continued. Military training of some sort should be a permanent feature of our College. It makes for better students, better men, and better citizens."

Major Swan, author of "My Company", who had been a member of the First Corps Cadets since his graduation in 1901, went overseas as a Captain of Engineers in September, 1917. For a short time he was attached to General Pershing's staff at Chaumont and was then transferred to the front, where he was stationed for almost a year.

Shannon a Capable Staff Officer.

"While attached to the General's staff in the fall of 1917", he said, "I had the honor of seeing much of Major James Shannon, later Lieut-Col., the officer who did such splendid work with the R. O. T. C. Although he disliked staff work and longed to be with the army in the field, like the good soldier that he was, he did not complain and was considered one of the most capable officers on the staff. After a year he obtained his transfer and rode all night on horseback to join his regiment at the front, going into action that very morning. He was killed on the second day after being relieved from staff duty, while engaged on an especially hazardous mission, which he accomplished."