THE ARCHANGEL FORCE.

Our valiant little Army in Northern Russia has been defeated again by the reorganized forces of the Reds. We can picture the feelings of the Allied officers and men placed up there in the Russian winter, not to win a victory and crush the forces of the Bolsheviki--the Army is obviously too small for that--but to keep fighting somehow against perilous odds that the Allies might not be accused of passively accepting anarchy.

Bolshevism is no longer to be considered an enigma. It is a living, growing force in every country standing for perfectly definite things and standing for them at all costs. Definite action on our part is the only thing that will meet it. If we decide that repression is the remedy, we must send into Russia a force adequate for such a task. If we decide that Russia must work out her own salvation we must remain strictly neutral.

On the other hand if we do not believe in repression and yet cannot remain indifferent to the starvation of millions, the senseless strife of whole peoples, there is still a course open to us. We could send a force capable of putting a stop to all bloodshed and of restoring order, thus allowing the economic resources to reorganize and facilitating the shipment of food. Then, when all was quiet, we would support whatever government or governments in the several parts of Russia could find the backing of the people. Such governments would in time stand or fall on their own ability to keep order.

All this is perfectly definite action and something like it will probably be done in time. The point is that now is the time to deal with Bolshevism while it is spreading and developing its powers of evil. Next year or next month may be too late.