VIOLATING TRADITIONS.

Certain Harvard men have been guilty of a serious offence. A week ago a student on the Yard was forced by about thirty-five of his classmates to burn papers which he owned dealing with the Lawrence strike. This action can be described in no other way than unlawful interference with free thinking.

This year the Yard has been frequently troubled by "rah! rah!" riots. Rhinehart nights with their accompaniment of broken windows and smashed furniture, have been very much in favor. On one occasion, according to reports, the members of a "rough-house" went so far as to attempt hazing Freshmen.

We thought such childish pranks had ceased to exist at the University. An undergraduate at Harvard is treated as a man, not as an infant. But though excuses may be made for these baby battlers on the grounds of youth, none can be offered for this last affair.

There are three possible motives which may have prompted the action of the offenders. They might have conceived the whole matter as a practical joke. But destroying another man's property against his will is a rather serious way of getting amusement. They might have started with good intentions and have been angered by the manner of the person with whom they were finding fault. But this is hardly a sufficient excuse for making that person burn his papers. And lastly they might have carried out a preconceived plan and this would make their action appear far more serious.

Freedom of conscience is one of the principles for which Harvard has always stood. The University was one of the first in the country to divorce itself from association with any particular church. All races of all religions and beliefs are admitted on an equal footing. This fact makes the University what it is,-a small world within itself. These traditions of Harvard are too sacred to be violated.