YALE AND TIGERS FORM STRONG BASEBALL TEAMS

Many Candidates Reported for Nines.--Sharpe to Head Athletics at New Haven.

Yale's baseball squad is quickly rounding into shape according to a statement in the Yale News by Coach Dawson, and the prospects for a successful season are very bright. Practice so far has been held in the Cage, and though the squad is ready for outdoor work Coach Dawson will stick to the cage until there are prospects of continued good weather. There are already two promising pitchers, Lester and Farrel, while the other positions are rapidly being filled by many former university men, just returned from service.

Dr. Sharpe to Take Charge of Work.

The Yale management has engaged the services of a new coach in football for the fall of 1919. Dr. Albert H. Sharpe, Yale '02 M, comes to them from a coaching position at Cornell. There is to be a reorganization in the coaching system at Yale, and Dr. Sharpe is to be Director of Athletics, having supervision of all major and minor sports. Hr, himself in college days, was well known as a very excellent and versatile athlete. He not only played on the baseball and basketball teams, but played also on Yale's famous eleven, captained by F.G. Brown, which defeated Harvard 28-0.

Nine Letter Men Back at Princeton.

Princeton's new baseball coach, Clarke, will make no statement about baseball prospects so early in the season. But with the return of nine letter men things look brighter. Captain W. H. Bade of last year's team, will probably hold down his old position at third base, while the completion for the other infield positions is very lively. Of the three battery candidates two are veterans of last year's team, and the third man, H. C. Margetts, '21, did some good box work in the freshman games with both Harvard and Yale last year.

Roper Will Coach Tiger Eleven.

There are several changes in Princeton's football organization for the fall of 1919. W. W. Roper will coach the teams, beginning early next September. Spring practice will be abolished, and pre-season practice will be substituted. Also there will probably be no training table regularly, but only for a short time preceding games. There is one radical change in Princeton's schedule to be noted. Dartmouth, with whom Princeton's has played an annual game from 1907 to 1916. When formal athletics stopped, no longer appears on the schedule. The reason given was that too hard a schedule is not desired when formal athletics are resumed.

Four Colleges to Play Annually.

There is a possibility that Cornell Dartmouth, Pennsylvania and perhaps Columbia, may enter into a closer athletic combine. Though these colleges have had athletic contests once or officer each year, it is planned to parallel the system of Harvard, Yale, and Princeton's by meeting thus annually in as many sports as possible.