PRESIDENT ELIOT'S BIRTHDAY.

Ten years have elapsed since President Eliot, after forty years of active leadership of Harvard University, became President Emeritus. The third college generation since his retirement is nearing its completion; hence, it is natural that the undergraduate of the present day should fail to appreciate the full significance of the changes which President Eliot wrought in the University.

The reforms which he introduced were not only revolutionary in their character as regards the College, but they were also revolutionary in the general field of education at that time. The development of the elective system gradually displaced an almost completely prescribed curriculum. And the three year course for the A. B. degree was introduced at his direction to shorten the college period for those who found the preparation for professional schools too long. That these radical changes were timely is conclusively shown by statistics, for in 1869, the year in which he became President, a total of two hundred and seventy-five degrees were given by the University, while in 1909, the date of his retirement, over one thousand degrees were granted.

Thus all members of the University, both past and present, owe President Eliot a profound debt of gratitude for his clear understanding of their educational needs. And even though he may not be personally known to all of them, they wish him the greatest happiness on his eighty-fifth birthday.