YALE DELENDA EST.

The appeal for advice extended by the Athletic Committee to the Student Council is already bearing fruit. The latter has passed resolutions disapproving any limiting agreement with Yale and Princeton, and strongly advocating that football be placed on a strictly ante-war footing. This view of athletic policy may be termed the first real expression of undergraduate opinion on the subject.

Too much has been said of the "Big Three". Although it is desirable for Harvard, Yale, and Princeton to confer together on mutual eligibility rules and to obtain opinions from one another for the encouragement of mass athletics, it is against the spirit of Harvard to favor a league for the exclusion of others. The impression has gone forth that the University was adopting such an attitude. The undergraduates through the medium of the Student, Council are correcting this false view.

The prime object of the football season has been, is, and always will be to beat Yale. A team could not be held together without the prospect of reaching some ultimate goal. In order to win, every available means within the limit of amateur rules and a gentleman's code, should be taken.

One of former customs which has been the object of much attack by the so-called athletic reformers, is secret practice. This is, in reality, absolutely necessary. A game is no game, if the other side knows all the moves. The fear of the unexpected is what constitutes interest. It also serves the purpose of keeping the student body from spending its afternoons on the Stadium tiers when each man should be engaged in some form of exercise. Secret practice in itself is harmless. It is only the agitators who call it semi-professionalism and against the spirit of fair play.