A CONSTRUCTIVE STEP.

A recent issue of the Alumni Bulletin published an article on the Trade Union College which has just been opened in the High School of Practical Arts in Boston. This college is under the auspices of the Boston Central Labor Union which is composed of 50,000 workmen residing in and about Boston, and any member of the Union may take courses there. The lectures are to be held at night, and each course will cost the student $2.50. The proximity of the University and its well earned record for constructive liberal thought has caused the Central Labor Union to appoint three Harvard men as the committee to arrange the teaching staff of the new college.

The vital significance of this step toward the solution of the labor problem, which is undoubtedly one of the biggest of the twentieth century, must be plain even to the dullest. Today organized labor is in a very trying position; it must, on the one hand, retain the support of the laboring man in its moderate measures as against the violence of Bolshevism, and upon the other, it must see that those moderate measures are put through. English labor men have for many years received such educations with the result that they are diplomats as contrasted with the fighting type of American leader. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the transference of labor problems from the soap box to the class room and arbitration board, and the elimination of their violence and explosive leninity.