THE TELEPHONE SITUATION.

The first thought which strikes one in connection with the ruinous telephone tie-up which began yesterday morning is, of course, that the strike must be ended, quickly, and at almost any cost. The fault of the situation seems to lie for the most part in the endless "red tape" and departmental ritual of the Post Office Department. The patient and fairly moderate demands of the operators for an inquiry on the part of some thoroughly impartial tribunal were repeatedly held up, and delayed, and referred on. Mr. Burleson has admitted that there is justice in their demands, but does not seem to like their plea for complete impartiality as between them and the Government. If he really believes in the justice of a wage of ten dollars per week, if he truly appreciates the difficult situation into which the New England public has been thrown, and if as he says he wishes to be loyal to the War Labor Arbitration Board, he can at once submit the whole matter to the Board itself for impartial review, and probably thus end the strike. Altogether it appears to be a case of the tactlessness and obstinacy of one man in the face of a multitude who sincerely believe themselves to have been unfairly treated.

Surely such a situation cannot continue. If Mr. Burleson refuses to intervene, the telephone companies, or President Wilson himself may have to take action. If all expedients fail, we still have one reliable agency for serving the needs of the population. If necessary the Commonwealth can and will operate the telephones of the state indefinitely as a police measure. We hope, however, that no such drastic action will be necessary, because those responsible have failed to put a stop to an intolerable situation.